Where to Learn English
Herefordshire Literacy Project (HELP)
HELP is a registered charity which has been helping local people for around 30 years. It delivers language classes in small groups or on a one-to-one basis at venues convenient for learners throughout the county - including workplaces. Classes are free of charge if you are resident in the UK and registered for PAYE and National Insurance.
HELP works with many local companies and their employees to deliver "Workplace Skills for Life" and language classes, for example Sun Valley, TRP, Pontrilas Saw Mills, Garth Nursing Home, Lynhales Nursing Home.
Classes are friendly and relaxed. All tutors are experienced and qualified, and delivery is tailored to fit in with individual needs and shift patterns. All learners:
- have a one-to-one interview to discuss their learning needs
- are assessed to ensure that their learning programme meets their individual learning needs
- have an Individual Learning Plan devised in partnership with their tutor
- have the opportunity to improve their IT skills
- are offered access to a variety of accreditation and qualifications
- are entitled to personal tutorials and learning support
- are entitled to free professional information, advice and guidance
Once language learners feel confident with their language skills, many then move onto HELP's Literacy and Numeracy courses or to other providers.
Families who want to learn English together can attend one of HELP's Family Learning sessions held at East Street Centre and at Haywood High School.
For further details contact Kerry on 07734 375988 or e-mail email@example.com.
Herefordshire College of Technology
- The College runs "English for Speakers of Other Languages" to enable students to develop their skills in the reading, writing and speaking and listening of English.
- Students can attend classes in line with their shift patterns, provided they have previously enrolled for the class on each of the days they wish to attend.
- All students will undertake an initial assessment to ensure they are taught at the appropriate level.
- Teaching takes place in small groups.
- During the year, students have the opportunity to sit the Cambridge ESOL Basic Skills examinations. This is a qualification which is recognised throughout the UK by employers.
- Classes are free for those who come from countries within the EU, who have lived in the UK for more than five years, or who are married to a UK citizen. Separate funding arrangements apply to some non-EU students, who may have to pay the full cost.
- Classes take place at the College on the following days and times:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday 2.00pm - 4.30pm Room C211 1.30pm - 4.00pm Room C309 9.30am - 12.00 noon Room C107 9.30am - 12.00 noon Room C304 1.30pm - 4.00pm Room C107
- To enrol, come along to any of the above classes to talk with the tutor or call 01432 365322. The College is at Folly Lane, Hereford, HR1 1LS. Website: http://www.hct.ac.uk
If you become a member of the library you can borrow up to 12 books for free, and if you are learning or improving your English we have books to help.
We have easy to read books that have a tape and CD so you can listen while you read. These are great for improving your pronunciation and they are free to borrow. You can search for them on our on-line catalogue.